The roughly circular parish of Thrupp encompasses the villages of Thrupp and Brimscombe and the hamlets of Upper and Lower Bourne, Lypiatt, Quarhouse, the Heavens and Claypits. The villages of Thrupp and Brimscombe straddle the Thames and Severn canal, the River Frome and the A419. The Great Western Railway line bounds the parish on the western side. The boundary then follows the Toadsmoor road in the East, cutting across farmland to Lypiatt and down to Claypits and crosses the canal to the railway line.
The regeneration of the port area and the canal will add greatly to the tourism industry that is sadly lacking in this Stroud valley. The regeneration is in its infancy but funding for much of the work has been received and work is expected to start soon. A plan of this work will be published on this web site.
|The Port before infilling|
Brimscombe Port was the hub of the Thames and Severn canal. Several mill and other buildings still stand around the port. The port is to be regenerated within the next ten years as part of the canal restoration project. The project covers the whole of the canal between Brimscombe Port and Stonehouse. The canal is to eventually to become navigable to Brimscombe Port from the Sharpness Canal.
There is no church within the Parish. The Parish is divided ecclesiastically between the Parishes of the Holy Trinity, Stroud, Holy Trinity, Brimscombe, and Christ Church, Chalford. The congregation from the old Mission Chapel worship regularly at the Social Centre. A bus runs every Sunday for worshippers at Holy Trinity, Stroud and the Roman Catholic Church at Beeches Green. The Methodists worship at their chapel in Brimscombe Hill and the Brimscombe Parish Church is situated in the same locality. Other Church of England members worship at Christ Church, Chalford.
|Victoria Hotel now the Pavillion restaurant|
There is a primary school at Thrupp, but some children travel to either Brimscombe or Chalford. Secondary education is again outside the Parish at Thomas Keeble, Eastcombe, Marlin or the Downfield School at Stroud or Deer Park, Cirencester.
The Parish is served by several shops at Brimscombe. There is a Post Office at Brimscombe.
It is provided with a public house, "The Ship" at Brimscombe.
There is an indian restaurant at Bourne, 'The Pavillion'.
|Stafford mill view|
|Parish looking east|
|South-eastern end of the parish from Knapp Lane|
|Brimscombe Port and Island circa 1920|
|The Bourne circa 1920 - Lewiston Mill chimney smoking and the Brimscombe station goods yard.|